The North Coast Section postseason format for football will remain intact after no motion was made to reduce the bracket size from 16 teams to eight at a special executive committee meeting on Friday afternoon.The 12-member committee held a teleconference to discuss a proposal that would extend the regular season one week to account for make-up games for teams unable to play due to the North Bay fires. NCS commissioner of athletics Gil Lemmon said he was surprised no motion was made, but he …
1 August 2011Retailer Woolworths has installed a water treatment system that uses water from a stream under its Cape Town head office to flush the toilets and run the building’s car wash, entrance fountain and cooling towers for the air conditioning units.The development will save the Cape Town municipality an estimated 27 375 000 litres of water a year or 75 000 litres of municipal water a day, while the retailer will benefit from a reduced water bill.The underground water runs about 20 metres under Woolworths head office building in the centre of Cape Town. The water currently flows into the city’s storm water system, and is eventually discharged into the sea. After much inquiry, the source of the underground stream is still somewhat of a mystery.Woolworths’ head of engineering services, Alex Kuzma, said the company had started investigating the project three years ago, and after consulting with the municipality and a range of experts had realised they could harvest the underground water, treat it, and use it instead of municipal water.“Everyone wins – Woolworths, the City of Cape Town, residents, and importantly, the environment,” Kuzma said in a statement last week. “This is part of our ‘Good Business’ journey, which helps to conserve natural resources and conduct business as responsibly as we can.”Reverse osmosisThe treated water is completely safe for use even though it will not be used as drinking water. To make the water safe for drinking, Woolworths has invested in a treatment plant that purifies the water using a number of steps including reverse osmosis.Under that process, pressure pushes the underground water through a semi permeable membrane. The membrane, which is about as thick as cellophane tape, allows only the water to pass through, eliminating impurities or contaminates.Drinking water will continue to be channelled separately into the building for the 2 000 people who occupy it daily. Once the treated water has been used, it will exit the building into the municipal waste water system.“The conservation and management of water is a major focus area of our Good business journey programme, as it should be in a country where water is a scarce resource,” said Kuzma.Woolworths’ Good business journey is a comprehensive plan to make a difference in in the areas of transformation, social development, the environment and climate change.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
2 July 2013Bafana Bafana’s 2014 Fifa World Cup dream is not yet over. The world governing body handed the South African national team a lifeline on Monday when it sanctioned the Ethiopian Football Federation for fielding an ineligible player against Botswana last month.Bafana coach Gordon Igesund reacted to the decision, saying: “We welcome the decision, which I believe was expected. It was never in doubt because rules are rules, so in our view it is a correct decision.“The decision also gives us a second bite of the cherry. We now have to beat Botswana and hope Ethiopia loses or draws against Central African Republic. But I am very pleased with the outcome.”StatementIn a statement, Fifa confirmed its sanction of Ethiopia for fielding an ineligible player in the match between Botswana and Ethiopia played in Lobatse on 8 June. Ethiopia won the game 2-1, but the match has now been awarded to Botswana following a Fifa disciplinary committee hearing.“The match is declared to be forfeited and awarded 3-0 in favour of Botswana, with the EFF also receiving a fine of R60 000 after the Fifa Disciplinary Committee considered the EFF liable for having breached article 55 paragraph 1 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code and article 8 of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Regulations,” read the statement.“The sanction relates to the Ethiopian player Minyahile Teshome Beyene failing to serve the automatic one-match suspension imposed on him following two cautions received in two different matches (article 17 paragraph 3 of the Fifa Disciplinary Code).”‘Welcome’“We accept and welcome the announcement by Fifa,” said South African Football Association (Safa) CEO Dennis Mumble.“Regarding our issue where we also wrote to them (Fifa) about the same player featuring in our match having not served his suspension, we were not looking for three points but were just inquiring about the status of the player in the qualifiers,” Mumble said.“We would also like to reiterate our coach’s views that there is now much more to play for in the qualifiers as we believe we stand a good chance of proceeding to the next round of play-offs, even though it must be noted that it’s no longer in our hands. But we will go there [Botswana] and do the best we can, and hope for a favourable result in the other match.”PointsBafana Bafana are now two points behind Group A leaders Ethiopia, with one round of group stages matches remaining.However, South Africa’s goal difference is superior to that of the Walia Antelopes, and should the teams finish level on points, with a Bafana Bafana win and Ethiopian draw in the final round of matches, South Africa would, according to the Fifa World Cup rules, advance to the next round of qualifying.The last round of matches takes place on 6 September, with Bafana at home to Botswana and Ethiopia away to the Central African Republic.SAinfo reporter and South African Football Association
SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Pushed to the brink after a 78-89 loss in Game 1, the sixth seeded Rapidos came out sharp and aggressive, frustrating the Cagers with their suffocating defense, while turning to Juntilla and Robin Rono for clutch baskets down the stretch.The highly physical match saw two Muntinlupa players, Ernesto Bondoc and Andretti Stevens, also get thrown out. Bondoc walked to the showers on two unsportsmanlike fouls while Andretti was charged with a disqualifying foul.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsThe crowd grew uneasy with security stepping in, after plastic bottles were thrown to the floor in the final minutes with Muntinlupa down by a double-digit margin.“We knew we had to match their physicality to tie the series, but we also have to keep our composure,” said Zamboanga coach Raymond Valenzona, whose father, Turo, serves as consultant of the Muntinlupa squad. Kids take spotlight before 70.3 Davao contest LATEST STORIES Undaunted by the hostile crowd, Zamboanga kept its poise and lived to fight another day in the MPBL Datu Cup.Ex-pro Reed Juntilla poured 26 points, while Harold Arboleda came up with 17 rebounds and 13 assists as the Rapidos turned back the Muntinlupa Cagers, 84-73, on Thursday night to force a do-or-die Game 3 in their South division quarterfinal series at a jam-packed Muntinlupa Sports Complex.ADVERTISEMENT Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Seventh seed Imus also forged a sudden death match with No. 2 seed Batangas after a stunning 75-69 victory earlier.Imus guard James Castro fired 21 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out four assists, but it was the Banderas’ stifling defense that helped propel them tie the series.The Bandera held the talent-laden Batangas squad led by Jeff Viernes to just 22 points in the middle quarters to seize control. Castro hit five of six free throws in the final minute to help preserve the win for Imus.“Even with the loss in Game 1, we were not discouraged because we always felt we had a chance if we play the right way against Batangas,” said Imus coach Noy Falcasantos in Filipino.ADVERTISEMENT Google Philippines names new country director MOST READ Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee received a proposal from former Barrackpore MP Tarit Baran Topdar to develop Kanchrapara Airfield into a second airport near Kolkata.Topdar had met the Chief Minister at the state Assembly on August 13 and gave the proposal in this connection.It has been learnt that he will be giving the proposal in further detail to the Chief Minister and a written communiqué in this connection is expected to be sent to the Chief Minister on Wednesday. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeIt may be mentioned that the airfield was constructed during World War II. This comes at the time when there have been discussions between the Airports Authority of India (AAI) and the state government, in connection with setting up of a new airport near the city.Sources said that the state government has already taken steps to develop many such airfields to ensure air connectivity in most parts of the state. The state government is also looking into the proposal of developing Kanchrapara Airfield positively. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe decision on carrying out a feasibility test will be taken after the written proposal with more details gets submitted to the Chief Minister.The Kanchrapara Airfield is around 1,500 metres in length. Considering that the location is suitable to develop the same for flight operation, there could be steps to expand it further.According to the experts, the airfield is close to Kalyani Expressway. So, connectivity will not be a major problem and it will not take much time to reach the city from the airfield. At the same time, AIIMs is also coming up at Kalyani. It would also not take much time to reach there from the airfield.
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee stated on National Education Day that education is one of the thrust areas of the state government.In a tweet on Sunday, the Chief Minister stated: “Today is #NationalEducationDay. Education is one of the thrust areas of our govt in #Bangla.” She further stated in this connection: “In the last seven years, we have set up 23 new universities, 65 new colleges and many more are in the pipeline. My best wishes to all.” Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeBanerjee also tweeted remembering Maulana Abul Kalam Azad on his birth anniversary. She stated in the tweet: “Remembering freedom fighter and well-known educationist Maulana Abul Kalam Azad on his birth anniversary. We have named the West Bengal University of Technology after him.” In the past seven years, the state government has taken a series of steps to improve the standard of education in the state. Starting from creating proper infrastructure across the state to bringing necessary changes in curriculum, several improvements have taken place in the past seven years. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedIt may be mentioned that 22 universities, including 10 private and 12 state-run, had come up in the state in the first six years of the Mamata Banerjee government and later, one more has come up taking the total number to 23. The Green University in Hooghly and the Biswa Bangla University in Bolpur are the two major projects taken up by the state government. Setting up of Sister Nivedita University at New Town and that too in the year when her 150th birth anniversary is being celebrated, is another major move of the Mamata Banerjee government. Setting up of the 23 universities is creating opportunities for more students to go for higher studies and it is of great help for the youths as they do not need to travel long distances to carry on with higher studies. Besides higher studies, steps were taken to create better infrastructure for school level education as well. Stress was given so that children do not need to go too far for school. Under the project Sabuj Sathi, the Mamata Banerjee government has also distributed bicycles among students of classes IX, X, XI and XII. Most importantly, introduction of the Kanyashree Prakalpa has helped in bringing down the dropout rate in schools. The state government has also bagged the United Nations Public Service Award for Asia Pacific in Netherlands in 2017 for the project, thanks to which more than 50 lakh girls were benefitted.