to go further News News Reporters Without Borders today strongly condemned the harassment of journalist Agil Khalil and attempts to intimidate him during an investigation by legal officials and called for a serious enquiry into an 13 March physical attack on him.The public prosecutor of the Kyurdamir region summoned him for questioning on 3 April and in his office he and an investigator twisted his arm and confiscated his mobile phone. Khalil told the daily paper Azadlig he had been subjected to psychological and physical pressure to make him say he knew a man called Sergei who had attacked him in March. He was summoned by police investigators the next day in Baku where he was taken aside and physically attacked. He was “treated like a criminal” and only able to talk to his lawyer after repeated requests, he said.“The authorities are trying to discredit him and show he was not assaulted because of his work as a journalist,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “The real authors of the attack on him must be found and punished.” Khalil said the investigation was trumped up and Sergei’s statements were contradictory. Sergei said he had stabbed the journalist several times but official experts said he had only been stabbed once. He also said he had called the journalist at his two mobile phone numbers but Khalil has only one number. Khalil said he had probably been attacked because of articles he wrote criticising local politicians. RSF_en AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Help by sharing this information RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan April 10, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist hounded by official investigators Receive email alerts June 4, 2021 Find out more News AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Azerbaijan April 9, 2021 Find out more Organisation News “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh
Previous articleArdpatrick crowned this year’s Going For Gold overall champions for 2019Next articleWATCH: “We Have To Take Our Opportunities” Carbery and Henderson ahead of Samoa Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Ireland South MEP Sean KellySeán Kelly MEP and leader of Fine Gael in the European Parliament has called for increased supports for girls and women in computer science, as the EU celebrates Code Week and European Week of Action for Girls this week.“More than half of female secondary school students in Ireland say they are not given enough information about STEM subjects, while only 17 per cent of the 8 million digital technology experts in the EU are women,” the Ireland South MEP warned.“The lack of participation of women and girls in the digital economy is not only down to lower interest in STEM and ICT,” he said noting the issue also includes “distorted perceptions, stereotypes and lack of role models” to inspire girls.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “It is vital that girls are well-informed of the many opportunities available to them in the STEM sectors. There remains a severe shortage of skilled ICT professionals across Europe, and there is a clear solution to this – we must encourage girls to pursue their talents in STEM subjects,” said Mr Kelly, a former teacher.Women’s voices are sorely lacking in the world of technology, which causes significant loss on all fronts – economic, societal and human capital, according to MEP Kelly.As part of EU Code Week and the European Week of Action for Girls, Mr Kelly hosted the Greenlight for Girls group in the European Parliament for the Generation Code exhibition yesterday (Tuesday).“Greenlight for Girls seeks to promote inclusive education on STEM subjects and encourage girls to pursue studies in these fields.“Coding is an increasingly important skill that girls are still not being encouraged to engage in. There is a significant gender gap among technology experts, while 40pc of enterprises recruiting ICT specialists report difficulties in getting qualified people.“We need to be equipping young women with the necessary computing skills and encourage their studies in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM),” Mr Kelly underlined. WhatsApp Facebook Advertisement Twitter NewsBusinessPoliticsMEP Kelly calls for increased support for girls and women in techBy Staff Reporter – October 9, 2019 119 Print Email Linkedin
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
“The analysis carried out by the [PLSA’s] DB Taskforce and feedback from our members indicates that the affordability challenges facing DB schemes and employers are much more significant than the position set out in the green paper,” the trade body said.“Some of the analysis presented appears overly optimistic. In particular, the assumption that employers can continue to pay deficit reduction contributions at current levels for the foreseeable future, given the wider economic challenges.”The PLSA called for the DWP, the Pensions Regulator (TPR), and the Pension Protection Fund (PPF) to undertake more work to understand “the extent of risks in the system”.The PPF’s latest data indicated that more than three quarters of private sector DB schemes were in deficit at the end of April. The aggregate deficit across all 5,794 schemes the data covered was £245.6bn (€289.2bn), compared to £189bn a year earlier.Elsewhere in its response, the PLSA supported the DWP’s proposal for more powers to be granted to the regulator, but said such a decision “needs to be proportionate to the risks they seek to address and enforceable in practice”.TPR should take more of a supervisory role, the PLSA argued, focusing its attention on the quality of scheme governance and the standards of trustees.“This would enable the regulator to focus its resource on supervising who does the governing and on its enforcement activity where it needs to intervene, rather than the rules schemes follow and decisions they make,” the PLSA said.Both the Conservative and Labour parties have pledged extra powers for TPR in their manifestos ahead of the UK general election on 8 June.The DWP’s investigation and consultation followed a number of high-profile DB pension scheme cases, primarily concerning BHS’s funds and the British Steel Pension Scheme.The DWP’s green paper on the security and sustainability of DB schemes is available here.The PLSA’s response is available here. The UK’s pension scheme trade body has disputed a government assertion that there is no affordability crisis in the country’s defined benefit (DB) sector.The Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA) was responding to a wide-ranging consultation about the future of DB pension provision, issued by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) earlier this year. The deadline for responses was 14 May.The DWP said in February: “The available evidence does not appear to support the view that these pensions are generally ‘unaffordable’ for employers. While DB pensions are more expensive than they were when they were originally set up, many employers could clear their pension deficit if required.”However, the PLSA argued in its response – published this morning – that two groups of schemes deemed to have the weakest sponsor covenants had only a 50% chance of reaching fully funded status in the next 30 years. The weakest group had only a 32% chance. These schemes accounted for three million members, the PLSA said.
Torrential rain forced play to be abandoned today in the Senior Men’s and Women’s North Regional Tournament at Pannal, Yorkshire, with the winners decided by the first round scores.Yorkshire’s Jim Butler won the men’s competition with 41 points while Warwickshire’s Liz Moverley took the honours for the ladies with 38 points.“It’s fantastic, I can’t believe it,” said Liz, who was also runner-up in the first of the season’s series of senior regional tournament. She added: “I’m disappointed not to play today because it’s such a nice course, but I wouldn’t have wanted to go out in this!”She was out in the first group yesterday and set the standard with impressively steady golf, notching up a string of pars and was finishing with a score of just six-over par gross.Yesterday’s first round was played in glorious weather with plenty of warm sunshine. Today, by contrast, was marred by extremely heavy rain and, with the bunkers filling up and puddles forming on the fairways and greens, play was abandoned.The general feeling among competitors was relief, with some cheers and hand clapping as the announcement was made, but others had been prepared to battle in the elements.Gillian Curley of Northamptonshire County spoke for them when she said: “My only disappointment is that I won’t have a chance to improve my score.” She was in contention with 35 points, but the rain put a stop to her challenge and she took second place.Third place in the ladies’ event went to Barbara Bateson of Lancaster who had 33 points and took the prize on countback from Cheryl Brown of Keighley.Meanwhile Jim Butler concluded a successful season in these tournaments with his victory in the men’s event. He’d previously been among the prizewinners in the first regional competition at Leamington & County.Jim, from Kirbymoorside, set up his score with solid striking, straight driving and a relaxed attitude: “I come to these thinking there’s no pressure, I’ve had good partners and we have a nice natter. It’s a day away from the hassle of work and it’s nice to make a score, but I wouldn’t have been fussed if I had only made 25!”He finished one point ahead of Bob Mason of Hobson Golf Club in Durham, who scored 40 points. Third place went to Geoff Thompson of Sickleholme in Derbyshire, with 38 points, on countback from Gary Emerson of Selby, Yorkshire.Although the event was cut short many of the competitors were enthusiastic about the tournament series and planning to return next year. Mick Cartwright, also from Sickleholme and a 12-handicapper, said: “It was fantastic to find that we were eligible to enter an England Golf event off our handicaps. We are very keen golfers and it’s great to enter something of a different level to our normal events.”Geoff Thompson, who plays off 13, added: “The sociable side is good too, we’ve met a couple of really nice guys from Silloth-on-Solway.”To image: England Golf Championship Director James Crampton checks the conditions (Image © Leaderboard Photography) 6 Sep 2013 Liz and Jim win as senior event is cut short
Image Courtesy: Reuters/Twitter(@Brozoholics)Advertisement 7twoNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs4q5Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E50tgvz( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 6r2Would you ever consider trying this?😱bv7k4Can your students do this? 🌚orRoller skating! Powered by Firework Whenever you’re up against Juventus, you know for a very fact that the one man that can devastate your defense line is Cristiano Ronaldo. However, if you have the astronomical luck of Sassuolo, you can secure a 2-2 draw right at the Allianz stadium, because the Old Lady talisman will defend your goal!Advertisement Image Courtesy: Reuters/Twitter(@Brozoholics)Today’s Serie A home fixture was expected to be a walk in the park win for the defending champions. Although the Neroverdi were up ahead 2-1 midway of the game, the Portuguese forward converted a spot kick successfully in the 68th minute. And just a minute after, the 34 year old blocked Paulo Dybala’s shot from ending up behind the net.Check out the bizarre moment in the clip below, posted on Twitter by user @BrozoholicsAdvertisement Higuaín’s sprint into the box ended in a calculated pass to the Argentine attacker, who’s calculated shot right through the Sassuolo defense didn’t end up being the match winner, it deflected from the legs of an unsuspecting Ronaldo.This unexpected and clumsy mistake from the former Manchester United and Real Madrid striker has costed the Bianconeri to lose two points from the match, and also the top spot, which is now occupied by rivals Inter Milan, thanks to their 2-1 win over SPAL. Advertisement