(L-R) Elizabeth Woods, Mary Woods, Bill Woods, Keith Hartzell, & Bobby Barr Last night was an annual celebration and a fond farewell, for a member of the Ocean City Housing Authority.Their annual holiday celebration was combined with a big “thank you” to the legendary Bill Woods.The 5th floor of the Housing Authority’s 6th Street Building was filled with fabulous food, great music, and the sounds of neighbors of all ages enjoying themselves.The guest of honor, Bill Woods, is a long term public servant who is clearly loved by those that were in attendance. Bill’s colleagues from the Housing Authority were joined by Mayor Jay Gillian, Councilman Bobby Barr, Councilman Antwan McClellan, Councilman Keith Harzell, Councilman Michael DeVlieger, and tables full of neighbors who came to praise him for his selfless dedication to our community.Here are just some of the ways that Bill has served Ocean City:Past City Council PresidentDeputy Tax AssessorCommissioner, Parking AuthorityCommissioner, Housing Authority – Twice (1990’s and present)Revenue Committee and Municipal Healthcare CommitteePast President / Director Ocean City Exchange ClubPast President, Board of RealtorsPast President / Treasurer/ Executive Director, Ocean City “Pops” OrchestraOutstanding Citizen Award, Ocean City Exchange ClubRealtor of the Year, Ocean City Board of RealtorsCaptain, U.S. ArmyOcean City Masonic Lodge, Consistory & Crescent TempleWhen asked why he has given all that he has for the community, Bill modestly responded “It makes me feel good when I see people taken cared of comfortably.” He added that 5 different Mayors have appointed him to different committees over the years.Bill – The message is clear, the public appreciates all that you have done for Ocean City and looks forward to whatever challenge you choose to bless with your knowledge, passion and enthusiasm next.
Dino Babers held his weekly press conference before Syracuse (4-6, 2-4 Atlantic Coast) plays its final home game against No. 17 Florida State (7-3, 4-3) on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. With two games left on its schedule, SU needs two wins to guarantee a bowl berth and one more would get it to five wins. If it gets to five wins, SU could get into a bowl game if there aren’t enough six-win teams.Check out three things Babers addressed Monday.Eric Dungey getting a second opinionSyracuse quarterback Eric Dungey sat out the Orange’s matchup with North Carolina State after he was hit high against Clemson and left the matchup with the Tigers. Zack Mahoney started against the Wolfpack, finishing the game 14-of-24 for 190 yards, one touchdown and one interception. On Monday, Babers reiterated that he didn’t expect Mahoney to step in and be as good as Dungey had been and that he thought Mahoney played well against N.C. State.Babers said Dungey was at practice last week, but he has not yet been cleared to practice by doctors. The SU head coach said Dungey is also getting a second opinion from doctors and that they do not yet know what injury he has. When asked whether Dungey’s injury might be career-ending, Babers said he’d rather not speculate on the quarterback’s injury. The depth chart has Dungey, Mahoney and Austin Wilson all listed as potential starters for the Florida State game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“They were going through tests and now they’re going through secondary tests, they’re getting a second opinion,” Babers said. “So we have to wait for a second opinion.”Jessica Sheldon | Photo EditorBabers has not been contacted to fill Baylor’s head coach openingAfter firing former head coach Art Briles over a sexual assault scandal, Baylor hired interim head coach Jim Grobe. But the school will be looking for a replacement and Babers, who coached under Briles at Baylor until 2011, is a natural fit. Babers knows the Baylor offense, which Baylor had previously recruited for.“No, there’s been no contact,” Babers said about whether a firm or Baylor had contacted him about the potential opening.Babers later said he’s focused on bringing SU to a bowl game after a question about potential interest in college football openings this offseason. A Wall Street Journal report wrote that 17 women have filed sexual or domestic assault complaints against Baylor football players in a four-year span under Briles. The report also alleged that Briles knew about an incident but did not report it. Facebook Twitter Google+ Cordell Hudson being worked back into SU’s lineupAfter missing two games earlier this season, cornerback Cordell Hudson was active for SU’s game against Clemson, traveled with the team but did not play. He was active but wasn’t playing defense when the Orange faced North Carolina State.Redshirt freshman Christopher Fredrick played in place of Hudson, who started earlier this season and at times last season. Fredrick made a nice pass breakup on the first drive of SU’s matchup against N.C. State, but Clemson wide receiver Deon Cain burned Fredrick for a 65-yard touchdown the week prior.“I think you need to (get) Cordell back in,” Babers said, “… conditioning-wise you’re not up to par with the other guys with where the other guys are at (after missing a few games). I think it’s just a matter of working him back in. Now, you also have to play well and Fredrick’s played OK.” Comments Published on November 14, 2016 at 1:50 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @ChrisLibonati
The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality will enter into a 25 year capital lease with VanMar Constructors. After that time the building will return to being property of the NRRM. Lease costs are being tabbed at $475,000-$550,000 but that will be covered through a sub lease with Northern Health and rent paid by physicians practicing at the health centre.In the coming weeks information sessions will be held on the Northern Rockies Community Health Centre. Further details on the information sessions will be presented on the Northern Rockies website which can be found by clicking here.- Advertisement –
The Loreto Secondary School community is looking forward to hosting their annual 5K Road Race – Run and Walk in Letterkenny next week.The event will take place on Tuesday next 10th September at 7pm. Due to ongoing road works it will start and finish at Letterkenny Community Centre.This is the fifth year of this very successful and enjoyable event and it is included as part of the Athletics Grand Prix series. A large turnout is expected and registration will take place in the Community Centre from 5.30 – 6.30pm. All participants will be ‘chipped’ and will be able to find out their times immediately. Entry fees are Runners 8 euro, walkers 5 euro and family 20 euro. There will be category prizes and spot prizes for both runners and walkers. The starting point of the 5K will be from the new Aldi on Neil T Blaney Road and all Race numbers and chips / pins must be picked up from the Community Centre before 6.30pm. Presentation of prizes and refreshments will be held in the marquee at the Community Centre afterwards. This is an ideal meeting place for all those who may not have met up since last year or for those with new students in the school.The Parents Association have worked hard to organise this event and they would like to thank everyone who has helped and supported them in any way, especially their main sponsors The Suit Room at County Seat, Pat’s Pizza, Jerzy’s Home and Auto Services, Kellys Centra, Value Centre, Marks and Spencer, Get Fresh, Mac’s Mace and all of the volunteers and students who help out at the event. Large turnout expected at Loreto Letterkenny 5K was last modified: September 5th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Loreto Letterkenny 5K
India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Sunday admitted that losing quick wickets was still a concern but said his team was gradually improving and will be at its best against Australia in the World Cup quarterfinals in Ahmedabad on Thursday.India, who had lost nine wickets for just 29 runs against South Africa in their last outing, on Sunday slipped from 218 for three to 268 all out.”It (losing wickets) is a concern. But there is a gradual improvement (from seven for 29 to seven for 50) I am sure we will be at our best in the quarters. That’s the positive I will take out of this,” Dhoni said after India beat West Indies by 80 runs here.Dhoni said the turning point of the match was the wicket of opener Devon Smith, who was dismissed by pacer Zaheer Khan in the 31st over to trigger a collapse.”The game really changed once Zaheer gave us the breakthrough, until then Devon was batting really well. After that we could put pressure on both sides, and got more wickets than we needed and seize the game in the end,” Dhoni said.Asked about their quarterfinal match against Australia, Dhoni said they are focusing on the preparation rather than thinking about the result.”Australia are a very strong side and very expressive on the field. But it’s about how we prepare. Preparation is very important and we are just thinking about that particular day and match rather than think about the result,” he said.”Being in the present is a better option that thinking of the past or worrying about the future,” he added.advertisementMan of the Match Yuvraj Singh, who battled stomach cramps to score 113 runs and took two crucial wickets, said he was happy with the way he was middling the ball.”It’s been good, I went in and was middling the ball, so happy with the way it went. When you lose early wickets, you need a partnership going. Me and Virat took us to 220, very happy with the way it went,” he said.”I was getting stomach cramps since morning, but I wanted to bat till the end. I am Very happy with the team effort today. We have our batting plans. Our batting is going well, once we get the bowling and fielding going we should be ok.Asked about the quarterfinals match against Australia, Yuvraj said,”Australia have won five matches, we have also won five matches, so looking forward to the contest.” .West Indies skipper Darren Sammy said though they lost the match, there first objective of reaching the quarterfinals have been achieved.”We reached our first objective of reaching the knockout stage and we have to tighten our games quickly and produce our A game to beat Pakistan in the quarterfinals,” Sammy said.Sammy said he was happy with the bowling but said batting has let them down.”Rampaul was really good in his first game. He bowled tremendously, our bowing game good something which many felt were not our strong point. But we lost seven wickets in 30 odd runs and that is a concern,” he said.West Indies had beaten Bangladesh by nine wickets after bowling out the hosts for just 58 runs and Sammy hoped that they will carry the same confidence when they play in Dhaka on Wednesday.”We did well against Bangladesh at Dhaka and hopefully we will have the same confidence going in there on Wednesday,” he said.Sammy also hoped that injured players Kemar Roach and Chris Gayle will be fit for the match against Pakistan.”Knowing their commitment, I hope they will hopefully come out and give their best for West Indies,” he said.-With PTI inputs