first_imgBREAKING NEWS: A Donegal man has been charged with the murders of four soldiers in the IRA’s 1982 Hyde Park bombing.John Anthony Downey, 61, is accused of being planting a car bomb left in South Carriage Drive in London.He is originally from Clare but had been living in Creeslough for many years. He was arrested while going on holidays. The explosion killed four members of the Royal Household Cavalry as they travelled from their barracks to Buckingham Palace.He was arrested at Gatwick Airport on Sunday, say police.Sue Hemming, head of special crime and counter-terrorism at the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “The Metropolitan Police Service has been investigating the explosion near Hyde Park in London which occurred on 20 July 1982. We have reviewed the evidence gathered and authorised them to charge John Anthony Downey, 61, of County Donegal, Ireland.“It is alleged that Downey is responsible for the improvised explosive device contained in a car parked in South Carriage Drive, SW1, London, which resulted in the deaths of four members of the Royal Household Cavalry, Blues and Royals, as they travelled on their daily route from their barracks to Buckingham Palace.“Downey has been charged with the murders of Roy John Bright, Dennis Richard Anthony Daly, Simon Andrew Tipper and Geoffrey Vernon Young. He has also been charged with intending to cause an explosion likely to endanger life contrary to S3 Explosive Substances Act 1883.”Downey will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later today.The Hyde Park bomb came just over a year after IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands died in the Maze Prison.The Household Cavalrymen of the Blues and Royals were riding through Hyde Park on their way to the Changing of the Guard when a bomb cut through their ranks.Four men and seven horses were killed and a number of police officers and civilians were injured.Less than two hours later, a second explosion in a Regent’s Park bandstand killed seven Royal Green Jackets bandsmen.The allegations against Downey are not related to this second incident.In 1987 Northern Ireland electrician Gilbert “Danny” McNamee was charged with making the Hyde Park bomb and jailed for 25 years.He served 12 years before being freed under the terms of the Good Friday peace deal.In 1998 his conviction was quashed at the High Court, after a high-profile campaign by celebrities including Eddie Izzard. But although his conviction was “unsafe” it did not follow he was innocent of the crime, the judges said.DONEGAL MAN CHARGED WITH MURDERS OF FOUR BRITISH SOLDIERS IN LONDON was last modified: May 23rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:breaking newsdonegalDonegal DailyHyde Parklast_img