Putting behind the bitter experience of steel major POSCO’s unsuccessful bid to set up a plant in Odisha, South Korea has evinced keen interest in forging a new relationship in investment and business with the State.South Korean Ambassador Shin Bong-kil, who led a business delegation, met Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and key functionaries of the industries department here on Monday.“Recognising the State’s potential in natural resources, POSCO had made $12 billion investment commitment in 2005 to set up a steel plant in the State — it was not only the single largest overseas investment by a South Korean company, but also the single largest foreign investment ever made in India,” said Mr. Shin.‘Fast-growing State’Observing that POSCO’s mega investment had faced many hurdles, he said: “I understand both sides have learnt from POSCO’s experience and now need to make a fresh start. Odisha is a State growing very fast.”The delegation included representatives of Samsung, Hyundai, Kia and LG. Commenting on the slowdown in the automobile sector, the Ambassador said: “I think the phenomenon is temporary. Things will improve shortly. Korean automakers, however, have been doing very well in India.”Addressing the delegation, Mr. Patnaik said, “The Republic of Korea and Odisha have many possibilities to collaborate across identified focus sectors. We are in the process of promulgating a strategy document, Vision 2030, to ensure that 50% of the primary metal produced in the State is value-added within the State.”“Odisha is also fast emerging as the petrochemicals and chemicals hub where Korea has natural strengths. We welcome Korean investments in these and other sectors,” said Mr. Patnaik.
Ajax CEO Edwin van der Sar says the club hope to keep goalkeeper Andre Onana for “as long as possible” amid rumours Barcelona want to re-sign him.The Cameroon international moved to Amsterdam from Barca in 2015 and took over as the undisputed No.1 the following season after Jasper Cillessen went to Camp Nou.With over 100 appearances for the Eredivisie giants, the 22-year-old is contracted to 2021 and Van der Sar is confident he will stay put for now. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! “I think Andre is fantastic,” Van der Sar told Goal .”He came to Ajax aged 18 or 19 and the way he developed and the natural attributes that he already had, his speed, his reaction and I think he set himself as a great goalkeeper.”He was in a rush to play first-team football quickly, but I think the level that he composed himself and that first year, playing straight away the Europa League final was a great start.”Last year was a difficult season but this year again he has proven to be extremely valuable for the team and, besides that, he is a great guy.”I think there are always a lot of rumours about players from Ajax. We develop great players, not only in Amsterdam but hopefully also in Cape Town and there is interest in a lot of our players, but we like to keep them for as long as possible.” A legendary shot stopper at Ajax, Manchester United and Netherlands, Van der Sar was known as a keeper capable of using the ball at his feet.Goalkeepers of that profile have become more popular in recent years as well as more expensive, with Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea spending big to fill the role last summer.And Van der Sar believes the increase in their value will only increase.”I think on one end, we need to understand that goalkeeping is an art and is also a very important position to have in your club,” he said.”And the demand is there that clubs can ask the money they receive now for goalkeepers like Liverpool and Man City.”But the level goes up and also the type of goalkeeping is not only about shot stopping but it is about distribution and helping the team out. “That was a part of my game and I am happy to see that it is prolonging and progressing along the way.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, March 31, 2017 – Grand Bahama – Police are said to have taken in Omar Archer, who was wanted for questioning without incident around 3am this morning. Archer is an extremely vocal and highly accusatory political activist who is often sharing messages where he claims to be exposing underhanded dealings, allegedly by the PLP Government.A person of interest notice was posted for Archer last weekend after he appeared on social media, holding an illegal gun and threatening the government. Archer said he was hiding out in Freeport, and reports are he was caught at his home, peacefully, by Police. Omar Archer also claims that the photo was doctored and posted by the PLP.#MagneticMediaNews#OmarArchercaught Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #OmarArchercaught Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Is Indian lack of interest hobbling the bid to extradite economic offences fugitive Nirav Modi, wanted in India for allegedly defrauding banks to the tune of Rs 13,000 crore? Indian officials apparently failed to respond in time to UK Serious Frauds Office’s (SFO) request for documents for the arrest and extradition of Nirav Modi, who is wanted for alleged role in the Punjab National Bank (PNB) scam, a news report says.After media widely reported spotting Nirav Modi recently on the London street the government denied any laxity on New Delhi’s part in getting him extradited, the report carried by a broadcaster says. But material available with NDTV indicated the repeated attempts of Indian officials to ignore the efforts of the UK Serious Fraud Office in London to get more documents to complete the extradition proceedings.India first sent an alert to the UK under the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) in February 2018 after news broke of the diamond trader fleeing India. This was soon after the CBI registered the criminal case against Nirav Modi and his family members for cheating the taxpayer of Rs 13,000 crores in the PNB scam.The MLAT allowed the Indian Home Ministry officials to directly forward court summons or warrants to the Indian High Commission in London, which could then take it up with the central authority in the UK. The central authority decided that the SFO was the appropriate agency to handle the request for action against Nirav Modi, the report said.The SFO confirmed Nirav Modi’s presence in the UK to India in March last year itself even as Indian officials were trying to trace him in Europe or Hong Kong. They confirmed Nirav Modi’s presence in the UK only months later, according to the report. The SFO also assigned counsel Barry Stancombe, who specialises in fraud and money laundering, to assist India in the extradition case. Nirva Modi during the inauguration of Nirav Modi Jewellery shop in Mumbai on March 14, 2015.IANSStancombe realized the need for many more documents to successfully prosecute an extradition proceeding in a UK court and wrote three letters in the summer to the Indian officials but failed to get any response, according to the report. Stancombe and his team also communicated their willingness to visit India to collect evidence so that they could arrest Nirav Modi in the UK and start the proceedings. They failed to get any response, according to NDTV.While External Affairs Ministry officials on Saturday confirmed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) having sent extradition requests by August last year, they denied knowledge of any request for additional documents from the UK. A lack of interest on the Indian side apparently forced the SFO to stop pursuing the case. “We can neither confirm nor deny any SFO interest in the case,” NDTV said quoting an e-mail it received from the SFO.Meanwhile, Nirav Modi’s legal teams are ready to fight his prosecution in the UK and extradition to India, according to sources.The flight over several high-profile fugitives including Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksi and Vijay Mallya has been high on the campaign agenda of the opposition Congress party president Rahul Gandhi’s United Progressive Alliance (UPA) in the upcoming general election 2019. The elections taking place through April and May with the result scheduled on May 23 are extremely important for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government and his Bharatiya Janata Party that leads the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) that had the high profile corruption cases that arose during the second term of the Manmohan Singh government as a major campaign point.
In Honor of Black History Month, join many of the city’s top cultural attractions under one roof for an afternoon of free interactive and family-friendly activities on Feb. 18 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Baltimore Visitor Center, Inner Harbor. Baltimore’s Legends & Legacies Jubilee invites everyone to embrace the city’s rich African American heritage and culture while encouraging inclusivity and community engagement. For more information go to: baltimore.org/article/baltimores-legends-legacies-jubilee